Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey: Review

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

This book has mostly rave reviews, but this one will not be. Mostly because I was so confused throughout the entire book. Cassie skips around a lot in her life story, with the time jumps and the explanations after the event has already occurred. Also, there are dual POVs between Cassie and her high school crush, Ben Parish. Honestly, Ben's parts were a lot better than Cassie's. He was easier to relate to. 

Sammy was probably the actual main character. He was the connection between Sam and Cassie which really were the entire motivations for this book. I always knew that Evan was not right, he wasn't human, Cassie shouldn't trust him. Even when she started, I never believed her, or him, for that matter. Ringer was a fantastic character who really had a lot of power. She was brilliant in her strategies and wins the award for my favorite character in the book. I really wish we had more of her. 

The main reason I didn't like this book was because I had no idea what was going on. The five waves weren't explained very well and I had to keep referring to the chart at the beginning of the book. I don't even know with the fifth wave - although I think I should. This book was very skippy (like the peanut butter) in writing style, which really made it unenjoyable. I still have no idea what happened in the book and I didn't like that. 

Will I be reading the next book in the series? Probably not. If I can't understand what happened in the first book, there would be no need for the second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment