Friday, February 28, 2014

Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix Review

Sent (The Missing, #2)

Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Published: Simon & Schuster 2010
Genre: Children's Science Fiction
Format: Paperback as a gift
Other Books In the Series: Found (book 1) and Sabotaged (book 3) and many more
Buy It From - Barnes & Noble - Amazon
*If you have not read the first book in this series, even the summary will be spoilery! I do highly suggest this series, so go start it!


Jonah and Chip have barely adjusted to the discovery that they are actually the missing children of history when a time purist named JB sends them, along with Katherine and Alex, hurtling back in time to 1483. JB promises that if they can fix history, they can all return to their present-day lives. Now Chip and Alex have to reclaim their true identities—as the king and prince of England. But things get complicated when the four discover that according to the records, the princes were murdered. How can they fix history if it means that Chip and Alex will die?
It's been six years (2008) since I read the first book in the series, but I still have been wanting to read this since I bought all the books in the series. I picked this book up, a little bit nervous to see what my memory would give me. Either I remembered this book really well or the story was able to catch me right up because I wasn't lost at all! The story is so captivating and intriguing, especially for a history buff like me, that it just throws you right into the middle of the action. 

This story takes place during 15th century England, a time period that I have never really studied before. It was a bit troublesome to figure out the story until it was explained around page 200 or so, but that is one of the main parts of the book - that you can't know the future (even if it's the past). There were some confusing parts throughout the story that could have been explained a little more, but it was still interesting and full of history.

It's a children's book, but the characters and action are developed well. It isn't an incredibly fast paced book, but it is short and always active to keep for a young reader. The characters are all interesting and funny. My favorite was Chip and I hope we get to see more of him in the next book, although I doubt it. Our main character, Jonah, is also funny in that thirteen year old boy way. It's been a while since I read the first one, so I cannot be sure about their development. 

Overall, this was a good second book! I am excited to continue with this series and find more about child history mysteries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment