Monday, November 4, 2013

Allegiant by Veronica Roth Review

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

If you have not read Insurgent, do not read this post! I do suggest this series though.

When I first ended the book, I thought this was the worst ending that anyone could come up with. I was angry, just about ready to throw the series to the wayside. I hated the book, but it was probably just being emotionally drained. After rereading the majority of it, I am now emotionally stable enough to write a coherent review. Not a good one, just a little bit less scathing. 

Plot: I highly disagreed with the way this one turned out. Honestly, I don't even think it was very realistic. I knew after reading Insurgent that Veronica Roth had written herself into a corner, but I still hoped that she would pull herself through. Not exactly. This book missed the crazy action we normally love and the plot moved slowly. It wasn't enjoyable or believable and that harmed the book as a whole. 

Characters: The dual povs also hurt this book. Four was whiny and had no self confidence. He made rash decisions and totally stepped outside of his character. Tris should have had the entire perspective, or maybe Caleb, as Veronica mentioned in an interview. Four's perspective just hurt the book because his chapters were boring. I really feel in love with Caleb and Cara, who turned out to be my favorite characters and Christina remained epic as usual. Our new characters were very off-putting and easy to see through, which is probably needed to develop them in one book. I also really liked the back story we received with Tris' mom. 

Writing: Veronica did not disappoint. It was beautifully written, with every sentence making a punch. Towards the end, it did get a little preachy as Four said lots of pointless things for twenty pages, but overall, it was still very good. 

Message: After initially reading this, I could find none. From this series, it lacked the one thing I though it needed to become a major hit that would withstand time. I could not find an essential meaning. At the end of this book, a major plot point does reveal something major that ties the book together well, while not necessarily the best. 

Rating: 2/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment