Thursday, March 6, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs Review

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, # 1)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Published Quirk Books 2011
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Format: Kindle ebook from the library
Other Books in this Series: Hollow City
Buy This Book: Amazon - Barnes & Noble
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
I originally picked this book up a couple of years ago and I quickly put it down after the first chapter or so. Looking back on it, I have no idea why I did that. This book was amazing! 

I think the reason most people read this book is because of the interesting photography concept. Throughout the book are weird pictures that the author collected throughout the years and are intertwined into the story. I liked the way characters are shown and it really helps bring the creepy element into the book. It's also something I never have read before which makes it extremely unique. This is definitely the strongest part of the book as well. 

The only problem that I had with the book came with the characters. There are many at this house, which makes sense, but it does hurt that they are all introduced at once. However, the main character, Jacob, really stuck with me. I really liked his relationship with Emma and the minor characters that I did come to love I really enjoyed reading about. 

The action and plot was also well paced. There are eleven chapters in the book which is considerably a smaller number compared to page count. It was still a very well paced book. It was constantly exciting and it moved at a good pace. The end felt a little rushed to me. The story however was well thought out and I am very excited to pick up the second book!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it is definitely a unique book that I would suggest to fans of paranormal or fantasy books!  

No comments:

Post a Comment