Saturday, March 22, 2014

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer Review

Twilight (Twilight, #1)

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Published Little Brown 2008
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Romance
Format: Kindle ebook
Other books in this series: New MoonEclipseBreaking Dawn
Buy this book: Amazon - Barnes & Noble
About three things I was absolutely positive:

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.


When Bella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back...
First, I would just like to clear up that this is my first time reading this book. I know, I missed all the hype a couple of years ago. However, I still wanted to read this book so I could finally catch onto the very end of the Twihard bandwagon. I was expecting this book to be miserable. It is constantly made of fun of and Bella is ridiculed as a character. That's not really what I got though.

Sure, there are multiple eye roll moments. I suffered a couple of them myself. But for the majority of the book, I loved Bella and Edward's banter mixed into their romance. Sure, it was sometimes a little cheesy, actually it was often cheesy. But it was still fun and kept me reading. As for the vampires in the book, that was probably where I had the most issues. Their descriptions were almost funny. The myth behind them was a little confusing and I missed why James was such a threat. Everything in that area got very twisted, so I feel like New Moon may help clear that up a little bit. 

Bella is also hated by most people. I didn't quite hate her. Maybe I will the next book. But for now, Bella, while not a strong female character, was interesting and unique. I really liked the way she talked to Edward and dealt with her issues. At the end, she got a little love obsessed and rash. The writing was also really childish. It seemed like she wasn't a professional author, which she wasn't. It comes through very clearly in the way the book is written. 

Overall, this book was okay. It wasn't really worth the initial hype, but at the same time, it was not the terrible book I was expecting. I will keep reading the series to learn more about the vampires and Bella's character development! 


2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree about the writing. I didn't hate the book and I could see why teenage girls loved it though the writing was hard to get past. I definitely liked her less in the second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's most of what I have been hearing about the second book. I thought Bella was okay in this one. The writing was a little childish, but that does cater to the teenager audience. It definitely was easy to read!

      Delete